Technology is a big and controversial topic.
I got a comment from an anonymous reader which stated: "Becca, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I would like to know what you think about the effect of digital devices on society.If that's to weird of a topic for you,I would like to know your thoughts on texting during conversation?"
I was super excited about this. The topic is great but I mostly couldn't get over the fact that someone actually commented! Thank you reader!
Anyway...
Digital devices have only been in my life for a few years. Growing up we didn't have cable, (we still don't) so TV was a foreign concept until I was about eight and we visited my mom and step-dad at their home. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching TV. In fact, I enjoy it a lot, but not having it at home makes it easier to focus on my day to day life. I love movies and television shows.One of my biggest dreams is to be in movie one day. I'm serious; I think that would be really awesome. A television really isn't what you think when you think a digital device. But it really is. It's kinda where digital started. When I think digital device, I think phones, especially smart phones, Ipods, Ipads etc. Well technically they are mobile digital devices. These mobile devices are really the issue in society. I own an Ipod. It was a present, from my loving brother, for my birthday last year. I love having it and use it often. I use it most to text. I can communicate with my friends when ever I want. If I have a question I can take it out and use it to ask my question. I live pretty far away from most of my friends, so my Ipod has been really useful in my life. I say this so you know that I'm not innocent when it comes to mobile devices. I own one and use it often. But as much as I like being able to talk to my friends and family when ever I want, I truly feel like mobile devices have handicapped society in a way.
Last spring I went to a youth weekend for girls at my beloved youth group. A lot of amazing women leaders put a lot of time into the weekend. I really appreciated all the work they did. I got a lot out of the weekend. I decided to show my gratitude, I would write a thank you card. Thank you cards, on the other hand, where never foreign to me growing up. My parents always had us hand write thank you cards for everything. It's polite so I am thankful for the training. I assumed everyone did this. You can imagine my shock when I gave the head leader that thank you card, and she was flabbergasted. She told me the next week how crazy it was to get a handwritten thank you card from me. She went on and on about how awesome it was to get a handwritten note. I couldn't really understand this. I loved writing letters by hand. Didn't everyone write thank you cards?
My point of this story is that I think that mobile devices have kept us from reaching our full potential. Back in the day men used to get wives by handwriting letters. For the record, I don't think that mail order brides was a good idea, I'm just saying.
So to answer your question, Anonymous reader, I think mobile devices can be useful if used in moderation and properly. I hope that answered it. If not let me know and I'll take another shot at it!
No comments:
Post a Comment